July 12, 2019

R.I.P. David J. Keyes (64) Willy DeVille bass player

R.I.P. David J. Keyes (64) long time bass player with Willy DeVille among many others. 
Sorry for your loss. You will be missed.



[So long David!]

David J. Keyes - traveled the world as bassist/vocalist/guitar for Willy DeVille and Mink DeVille Band from 1992-2006. He continued to assist in writing Willy's last two studio records, "Crow Jane Alley" dedicated to Jack Nitzsche and "Pistola", Willy's last studio record, after David J. was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer in January 2007.

David J. Keyes earned a Gold Record Award with Mink DeVille Band for his performance on Willy DeVille Live (1993 FNAC) recorded live at Bottom line in NYC and Olympia in Paris, France.

David J. Keyes also toured and recorded with Symphonic/Rock band Renaissance, Annie Haslam vocalist, from 1990 to 2014, Touring Japan, UK and USA. Renaissance released a new Studio record "Symphony of Light" in 2013 and new DVD "Live at Keswick Theater" from Renaissance tour 2011.

David J Keyes played upright bass, dobro & co-produced studio record w/ singer/songwriter Titus Wolfe - Berlin, Germany.
The album of Titus Wolfe - "HoHoKus" (w/ David J. Keyes 2015) is available on Blue Rose Records.


[photo © | DeVille Fans meeting with David J Keyes & Darin Brown at Luxor Rotterdam Oct. 2006]


When people say renowned bass player and singer David J. Keyes of Franklin Lakes battled cancer, they mean it. [source: dailyvoice.com]


Keyes, who succumbed to the disease earlier this week – 12 years after being diagnosed – fought valiantly, never allowing it to darken a shining smile, those who knew him said.

“His mantra was one of grace, humility, passion and strength -- the glass was always half full no matter how much pain he was in,” wrote singer-songwriter and keyboardist Dave Keyes (no relation) of Sloatsburg. “He was always upbeat, always looking for the light.”

Keyes, 64, had an impressive musical resume, playing with a variety of acts, from symphonic prog-rock pioneers Renaissance to the late New York City-cum-New Orleans American roots music singer-songwriter Willy DeVille.

He was a familiar fixture in clubs in New York City, as well as in Bergen and Rockland counties, among other places.

His fortes were blues and folk.

Keyes was diagnosed with leiomyosarcoma in 2007 and steadily underwent biweekly chemo treatments. Yet he never blinked onstage, those who knew him said.

“Probably the most positive person I’ve ever met, even through his long battle,” wrote guitarist Mark Newman.

“Dave was a true gentleman, great musician and ALWAYS a bright spirit in spite of the burden he carried the last 10 years,” added drummer Bill Tesar. “I'll miss him terribly.”

He also was a tremendous influence.

New York City guitarist Steve Conte met Keyes in 1984 at a Fifth Avenue club called 240 West – which later became the now-defunct Lone Star Roadhouse – when the bands they played in were on the same bill.

“We hit it off and kept in touch over the years,” he said, adding that Keyes pushed him to learn to play mandolin, open-tuned dobro & Tex/Mex-style nylon string.

“Knowing what a big Willy [DeVille] fan I was, he approached me to do a tour once, which I had to turn down,” Conte recalled. “But the next time, I took him up on the offer and it was life-changing, to say the least.

“I had no idea what to expect replacing the great Freddy Koella in Willy's band, but Dave went the extra mile to make me feel at ease in a situation where I was ‘the new guy.’

“Dave & I traveled in style with Willy; playing the greatest cities of Europe in the summer of 2003, staying in 5-star hotels, dining on the finest cuisine, drinking the best wines and playing some of the most soulful music I've ever had the pleasure of performing on a tour.

“Dave & I spent many nights on tour talking about life & music till the sun came up,” Conte added. “He was a true friend, a sweetheart who really cared about people.

“I am comforted to know that he is finished with suffering.”

The “other” Dave Keyes noted that his friend’s “ever-present smile was a beacon of light and courage in a crazy world, an inspiration for anyone who has ever been sick or dealing with major health issues.”

He called Keyes “an incredible person whose spirit and soul will live on for me thru the memories I have of hanging with him, our conversations, our golf games and the music we made together.

“Big hugs, prayers and gratitude to his wife Marilyn S. Keyes, who has always been by his side. RIP brother....There is none other like you.”

9 comments:

  1. So sad to hear i've been a willy deville fan since i bought cabretta back in 77 and love the acoustic trio as much as those earlier albums, i am but one of many fans here in Australia regards Matt

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am shocked that David is dead and had such a long fight against cancer. I was and I am a big fan of Willy and his band and sad that another great musician has left us. RIP David!

    ReplyDelete
  3. For me Keyes and Willydeville together with this fantastic harmonica-player are one of the best "Trios" of folk-rock. I saw Willy earlier in the 80s in Paris... and I see often Willy and Keyes on YouTube. Unforgettable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry that David is dead.I've just read it.He was a great musican and so kind.Now he can make musik with Willy in heaven.What a great loss all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. David was very enthusiastic and encouraging to me when he asked me to sit in with him. I was much younger than the band but he made me feel right at home with his constant smile and acknowledgment while his left hand blurred on his fretless. He practiced more than anybody I know because of his great love for music. He was such an inspiration to me as a musician and all around great person. I never heard him utter an unkind word. Heaven just upgraded their rythm section.

    ReplyDelete
  6. He'd been anonymous to me until today.. no one played 'dust my broom' like him. Sounds like an amazing talent to me, a natural. I wanna be like him. Keep the beat goin' David..... I'm listening.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had the pleasure to meet David several times when he toured in Austria with Willy. He always had some friendly words for his fans and of course his overwhelming smile. He told me about his family roots in Austria and we continued to talk via email for some time. R.I.P. David, your music is part of a good time in my life

    ReplyDelete
  8. I knew Dave from Peoria Ill. Went to school with his brother a few years younger. He was always a tremendous player when ever he was in town he would play latenight at a little club called "The Downtown Steakhouse" no longer there. It was always a treat to hear him play and get to talk to him great guy and will be missed RIP.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Today is my brother David's birthday 06/24. Happy Heavenly birthday Dave and thank you to all who knew him and spoke kind thoughts and memories! Cheers with a David smile! Kevin Keyes

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your message, we really appreciate it.
~ Just Your Friends ~